On August 28, 1937, the first PCC streetcars began running on 14th Street NW. , Not every company became a part of Washington Railway immediately. We hope you will join us again soon. , By 1888, it had built additional lines down 4th Street NW/SW to P Street SW, and on East Capitol Street to 9th Street. Between 1862 and 1962, streetcars in Washington, D.C., were a common mode of transportation, but the system was dismantled in the early 1960s as part of a switch to bus service. TROLLEY SCHEDULE Please note that Washington DC is a city of parades, festivals, motorcades and of course, traffic. [On July 5, 1892, the District of Columbia Suburban Railway was incorporated to run streetcars along the same route - on Bladensburg Road NE from the Columbia tracks on H Street NE to the Maryland line and from Brookland to Florida Avenue NE, but it was never constructed].  In 1897, it began construction on a line, known locally as the Dinky Line, that began at the end of the Brightwood spur at 4th and Butternut Streets NW, traveled south on 4th Street NW to Aspen Street NW and then east on Aspen Street NW and Laurel Street NW into Maryland. Depending upon your interest, select a silver, gold, or platinum pass, then board at any of the stops and get to know the nation’s capital in customized fashion, with live onboard commentary from a professional tour conductor. In 1863 the 7th Street line was extended north to Boundary Street NW. In 1977, the tracks on M and Pennsylvania in Georgetown were paved over. , The Washington and Georgetown's monopoly didn't last long. Boundary Street was becoming such a misnomer that in 1890 it was renamed Florida Avenue. Much of the property was destroyed when Q Street was extended, but the remainder lasted until at least 1920. Climbing the hills to the new parts of the city was difficult for horses, but electric streetcars could do it easily. In 1927 the two companies were split and sold at auction. We hope to see you again soon. We are glad you enjoyed the tour and hope to host you again.  For the first time, street railways in Washington were under the management of one company. For information on DC's new streetcar line, see, Capitol, North O Street and South Washington, Horse-drawn chariots and the Herdic Phaeton Company, Washington and Great Falls - Maryland and Washington, Conversion of horse cars to mechanical and electrical power. As improvements, such as balloon tires, were made, buses became more popular. The DC Streetcar is an easy, convenient service to the corridor providing access to shopping, restaurants, entertainment, healthcare, residential properties, and many other services. Electric lighting was a luxury found only in hotels and other businesses as well as in the mansions of people like George Westinghouse and J.P. Morgan.  The poles likely date back to the bridge's construction in 1931. The Capital Traction Company Powerhouse in Georgetown was torn down in 1968; the land it sat on is now part of the. I highly recommend. Others serve as museum pieces. fabulous. We are fortunate to have him on our team. You can also explore the Vietnam Veterans Memorial, Korean War Memorial, and the Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial, which was dedicated in 2011.  A third line ran down 14th Street NW from Boundary Street NW (now Florida Avenue) to the Treasury Building. It wasn't given approval by Congress until February 18, 1875, but it was constructed that year. On July 1, 1864, a second streetcar company, the Metropolitan Railroad, was incorporated. Depart from the Washington DC Welcome Center and take a 90 minute Washington DC trolley tour to explore the nation’s capital. We ubered instead and got to our destination. , Further consolidation came in the form of the North American Company, a transit and public utility holding company. It began operations on May 1, 1897, with a car barn at 1914 E Street NW. Several of the district's streetcar lines were extended into Maryland, and two Virginia lines crossed into the district. We loved this nighttime tour. The Maryland and Washington Railway was approved a few days later on August 1, 1892. Much of the track in D.C. was removed and sold for scrap. By the afternoon of the 28th, workers began tearing out the streetcar tracks and platforms along 14th Street. Open your mind and palette to the sights, sounds and flavors this Washington DC area has to offer…. Visit the US Coast Guard, US Marine Corps War, and Robert E. Lee memorials. The City and Suburban and the Georgetown and Tennallytown operated as subsidiaries of Washington Railway until October 31, 1926, when it purchased the remainder of their stock.  The Washington Interurban switched next and its tracks were removed when Bladensburg Road was repaved. Thank you for posting. , The Baltimore and Washington Transit Company was incorporated prior to 1894, with authorization to run from the District of Columbia, across Maryland to the Pennsylvania border. A car barn was built in Mount Pleasant around 1892. The East Capitol Street Car Barn, at 1400, The Decatur Street Car Barn (a.k.a. The DC Streetcar is the product of over a decade long series of studies and plans beginning in 1997 with the completion of the Transportation Vision, Strategy and Action Plan by the District Department of Public … On July 18, 1956, after Wolfson dared the Senate to revoke his franchise claiming no other entrepreneur would take the company on, the Congress did just that. The new station (address: 1204 N. Pennsylvania Avenue) extended along 12th Street NW from Pennsylvania Avenue NW to D Street NW, near the site of the present Federal Triangle Metro station and on the opposite side of 12th Street from the Post Office building.. Transit 1470 is kept at the Virginia Museum of Transportation in Roanoke, Virginia, Capital Transit 09 is at Rockhill Trolley Museum in Rockhill Furnace, Pennsylvania, Capital Transit 010 is maintained at the Connecticut Trolley Museum and D.C. The streetcar turnaround at 11th and Monroe NW is now the 11th and Monroe Streets Park. the Seventh Street-Wharves Barn) and the adjacent shops on 4th Street SW were torn down in 1962 to make room for the Riverside Condominiums. , Streetcars began operation in New York City along the Bowery in 1832, but the technology did not really become popular until 1852, when Alphonse Loubat invented a side-bearing rail that could be laid flush with the street surface, allowing the first horse-drawn streetcar lines. Explore the best of Washington, DC on this narrated, hop-on hop-off trolley tour. You have seen them and you know they exist. The East Washington Heights became the first streetcar company to switch, replacing its two streetcars and one mile of track with a bus line. In 1910, it began running cars along a single track from a modest waiting station and car barn near 15th Street NE and H Street NE along Bladensburg Road NE to Bladensburg. , The next attempt at public transit arrived in the spring of 1830, when Gilbert Vanderwerken's Omnibuses, horse-drawn wagons, began running from Georgetown to the Navy Yard. , The Anacostia and Potomac River switched from horses to electricity in April 1900. Transit. Vernon Memorial Highway (now the George Washington Memorial Parkway) opened. In May 1800, two-horse stage coaches began running twice daily from Bridge and High Streets NW (now Wisconsin Avenue and M Street NW) in Georgetown by way of M Street NW and Pennsylvania Avenue NW/SE to William Tunnicliff's Tavern at the site now occupied by the Supreme Court Building. The company maintained stables on M Street, NW. , With further bustitution, the Columbia Railway Company Car Barn was converted to a bus barn in 1942.. Went to DC and paid for the Trolley. The Washington and Great Falls Electric Railway was approved on July 28, 1892, to build an electric streetcar line from the Aqueduct Bridge to Cabin John Creek.  This technically ended "trolley" cars in D.C. as only conduit operations remained.  Two years later, the last streetcar line was built.. There was a streetcar station in the center of Barney Circle but it was removed in the 1970s. Buyers were hard to come by, but on September 12, 1949, Louis Wolfson and his three brothers purchased from North American 46.5% of the company's stock for $20 per share and the Washington Railway was dissolved. Two electric trolley companies serving Northern Virginia also operated in the District and a third received permission to do so, but never did so (see: Northern Virginia trolleys): The Washington & Arlington Railway was the first Virginia company given permission to operate in Washington. ), During the 1930s, city newspapers began pushing for streetcar tunneling. On December 1, 1933, Washington Railway, Capital Traction, and Washington Rapid Transit merged to form the Capital Transit Company.  (A map of the system in 1948), In 1946 in a decision by the United States Supreme Court in North American Co. v. Securities and Exchange Commission, the Supreme Court upheld the Public Utility Holding Company Act of 1935 and forced North American, because it also owned the Potomac Electric Power Co., to sell its shares of Capital Transit. Streetcars were unionized in 1916 when local 689 of the Amalgamated Association of Street, Electric Railway and Motor Coach Employees of America won recognition after a three-day strike. However, the railroad never actually used any such watercraft. Washington, DC isn’t a great city for urban exploration. It became clear that the underground electrical system was superior, so it quickly abandoned cable cars and switched to electrical power on July 22, 1899. World War I saw further increases in passenger traffic. In 1914 a failed attempt was made to have the Federal Government purchase all of the streetcar lines and companies. View & Book Tickets » Old Town Trolley Tours: Washington DC Hop-On Hop-Off Trolley + Arlington Nat'l Cemetery, Water Taxi Upgrade.  Chalk fought the retirement of the streetcars but was unsuccessful, and the final abandonment of the streetcar system began on September 7, 1958, with the end of the North Capitol Street (Route 80) and Maryland (Route 82) lines.  The company had difficulty competing and in 1924 declared bankruptcy.  At the same time the Capital Railway was incorporated, the Washington and Marlboro Electric Railway was chartered to run trains across the Anacostia River through southeast Anacostia to the District boundary at Suitland Road and from there to Upper Marlboro, but it never laid any track.  In 1912, it was incorporated into the new Washington and Old Dominion Railway and became the Great Falls Division of that company.  For $2.2 million they bought a company with $7 million in cash. During this time, streetcars competed with numerous horse-drawn chariot companies. On February 4, 1902, Washington and Great Falls changed its name to the Washington Railway and Electric Company, reincorporated as a holding company and exchanged stock in Washington Traction and Electric one for one for stock in the new company (at a discounted rate).